Nov 21, 2014

Thrifty DIY Part Two: Holiday Decorative Mittens




This tutorial is part two of the Thrifty DIY challenge. Part one I make a Faux Fur Throw Rug from a coat bought along with a sweater used in this mitten tutorial. You can find Part One here:





   A pair of pretty knitted mittens also make wonderful holiday decor added to a wreath or hung on an antique door knob but alas, I do not want to pay the price of well knitted mittens. So I decided to come up with a pair sewn on the cheap, just to decorate with.

I found a nice sweater that I thought had a fitting design for my purpose. The snowflake pattern, suitable for my mittens.





I created my own pattern... nothing fancy. Sketched by hand on a piece of paper, done by tracing my own hand. I am including the same pattern, scanned to size on a pdf so you can print it and simply cut it out. 



Disclaimer (or call me smarty pants): This pattern is for mittens that fit me, but I made these mittens for decorative purposes ONLY. If you wish to wear these then you may have to try and adjust the width of the pattern.

 How-To


~ With a pair of scissors, cut the sweater apart at the seams.

~ Lay the front and back of the sweater flat and lay your patterns to cut. For the pattern #1, adjust the pattern to the part of your sweater where the design is. I made sure a snowflake is centered on pattern #1 piece. The hand palm patterns #2,3 can be cut anywhere you have room on your sweater material as long as its not waist band part of sweater. 




~ Starting first by sewing the thumb and hand palm side of the mitten by lining up the thumps of both pieces #2 and 3, sew the thumb and the palm together.

~ Now that you have the inner side of the mitten hand sewed, you can lay it on piece #1, design side, face to face. Sew around the edge of the mitten and you are done!!


I trimmed the cuffs of my mittens with a strip of coordinating white fur (bought the strip years ago by the yard at the ribbons and trim store isle) In my stash I also found pompoms string that I used to tie one mitten to the other so it can also serve as a hanger for my decorative mittens. If you try this out, get creative with the trimming of the cuffs. Fur is fantastic, pompom trim, narrow fuzzy wool scarf!





Stuff mittens with greenery and holly berries and hang them in an entry way on a wreath, wall hanger or door knob.

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and that you give it a try...


Ciao ciao for now...

Sonia



1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great idea! So thrifty!