Sep 11, 2013

Recipe: Spaghetti with Basil Pesto and Cherry Tomatoes


A quickie recipe post for ya, just before dinner time!



I know what you are thinking... How random is this?! Yes I am sharing another recipe with you. Besides, I was born and raised in the Mediterranean so why not share some of my heritage with you. I have been really enjoying the bounty of herbs growing on my kitchen window sill. Also a few herbs and tomatoes growing in my garden too. My tomato plants are still doing really well. So of course with all the fresh produce I am also having fun cooking. 


I have been making this Spaghetti with Basil Pesto and Cherry Tomatoes using my home grown fresh basil and tomatoes. It is good wholesome Mediterranean cooking at its best. *wink, wink* I am home again.

Ingredients:
1 box spaghetti (serving 4-5)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pint cherry tomatoes, diced
Salt and black pepper to taste.

Pesto:
3 tablespoons parmigiano romano cheese, grated
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons pine nuts
12 basil leaves
5 tablespoons olive oil

To make:
Pesto
- In a blender combine cheese, garlic, pine nuts, and basil and process at a low speed. Add olive oil while processing.

Pasta
-Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil and saute' tomatoes for 3 minutes over high heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine pesto with tomatoes in the skillet.
- Drain and toss pasta with pesto and tomatoes.
- Serve and top with cheese if desired.

And ENJOY!!

As you can read, it really is an easy recipe and I hope you'll give it a try. I do hope to share some other recipes I grew up with from time to time. I think you may enjoy.

No comments: