Feb 27, 2013

Do-It-Yourself Farmhouse Style Bench







A bit of an unusual post but I thought many of you may enjoy and perhaps try to make this simple bench. I have two of them now. I love benches and they come in very handy. I use one in the dining room and other as a "coffee table" in my living room. 




What you will need

Tools:
Miter Saw or Table Saw
Drill and 9/64 drill bit
Phillips head screw driver (X)
Clamps

Cutting list:
2 { 1 x 5's } cut at 42 inches length for the top
4 { 1.5 x 3.5's } cut at 16.5 inches length for the legs
2 { 1.5 x 5.5's } cut at 8 inches length for side bridges
1 { 1.5 x 3.5 } cut at 34 inches for length support

Other supplies:
Wood glue
3 inches exteriors screws for legs
2.5 inches screws for top
(Most of these items I had at hand and I wanted to use what I had.)

How To

(Click on images to enlarge)

Image #1 - Start by building the legs using two cut pieces for legs and one cut piece of side bridge. First gluing pieces, then secure in place with clamps.
Image #2 - Using the drill, make holes for screws.
Image #3- Then screw legs to bridge together. repeat steps to build legs for other side of the bench.
Image #4 - Mark the center of the inner part of the side bridge and using glue and screws attach the bottom support.

Images #5,6 - Center the two top parts on top of your bench and fasten using glue and screws to the finished leg part of your bench.

I am not very good at explaining parts and process but I made sure to photograph each step to give a better idea of what I did. Hope you find them helpful enough.

Like I said, I have two of these benches. One I finished using a wood applique I bought from Lowe's, nailed to the bridge. Then I painted the entire bench in White, Egg shell paint and roughly sanded and beat it up a bit.

And there you have it. *Smile*
I'm grinning big, I'm actually enjoying building stuff. Its my new found love to power tools and building stuff. My next project is a storage bench for toys.


 Here's two flower boxes that I built and got me going on my new hobby.
Tutorial found here:
http://creatingvintagecharm.blogspot.com/2014/06/do-it-yourself-vintage-style-tool-box.html







 I hope you are inspired by this How-To and get to building one.

Until next time...

Ciao cari amichi!

Sonia

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely adorable! Love it!

Mammabellarte Rita Reade said...

I think I need to meet Sonia. Table saw, miter saw that is my stuff :)
Ci incontriamo Sonia?
Deb love your post, Thank you for sharing.
Ciao

Mammabellarte Rita Reade said...

oops pensavo che questo messaggio era per Deb. Che inbarazzo! Comunque complimenti Sonia. Ciao

debi said...

Sonia, I love your farmhouses benches! What a wonderful carpenter you are!